Apart from earning a degree in journalism from a reputed school or college, making a mark as a well-known and a famous journalist needs a lot of hard-work and sleepless nights. If you want to tell the world about everything you have seen, experienced and come across with, journalism is the name of the game.
Know your area of expertise
Reputed schools and colleges each year churn out hundreds of budding journalists, and each of them have specialized in a niche of sorts to make it big.
- Decide your niche- For example; there are many students who attend classes only to report on matters related to current affairs or world politics; hence attending classes that would teach fashion reporting would make no sense in the long run. Your focus should be on one parameter and try not to be the jack of all trades, but a master of none.
- One has to specialize in the field they want to be the best at, for which, one needs to attend workshops and events, read journalism blogs online, check the print and magazines for updates, and not allow apathy and indifference to seep in.
Start practicing with social networking
In this day and age, social networking sites are a boon to have. It is an easier and effective way of spreading out the word to millions across the globe.
- Practice your writing skills- The world gets to know talents and skills of the next, so if there is a press report which you would like to make it public, and has been penned down by your own hands, go right ahead and share it on social networking sites.
- Most employers are in constant lookout for budding journalists and interns through samples of their work through online sources such as blogs, forums and comments left behind on websites. The lucky ones may get a surprise appreciation in their inbox or even a chance to work for a firm.
Check online and register with forums and blogs or pages on social networking sites, seek internships while the holidays are on.
- Apply for internships- Most employers would pay for an internship, but even if you aren’t paid, you would end up being fully equipped on how to appear for full time job interviews ahead.
- Check the college employment cell- Internship offers would also reach your college employment cell, speak to the counselor at the college and they too would be able to guide.
Read as much as you can and watch the news
If you wish to be a part of the journalistic entourage, it is advised to read up on world affairs as much as you can. Even watching the daily news at least once a day keeps you abreast of the situations happening. Irrespective of the stream of journalism chosen, everything in this world is interconnected. Future employers would question you on your thoughts and opinions, and would look for out of the box and non-influenced unbiased opinions on the same.
Get all the help you need, the world is waiting for your stories to be told. However, you need to be very brave, unbiased and true to your soul when dealing with facts, morals and etiquettes of journalism. If you think you have it in you, go right ahead and be the next force in the world of journalism.