Whether you bow out gracefully or you simply reject a person’s idea and not the person,there is nothing wrong with saying ‘no’. Sometimes, with a no details need to be shared. In the 1980s, there was an ineffective drug campaign that was, in one way, effective because everyone remembers the slogan, ‘Just Say ‘No!’’ However, sometimes when offering a ‘no,’ some explanation goes a long way to bridge communication gaps between co-workers, bosses, loved ones, and friends. But, how do you say no gracefully?
Use a soft retort
To turn away the wrath of a lover being scorned, an employee wronged, and in those occasions you want to make a friend by saying no. However, learn to say ‘no’ without feeling guilty. Remember, you do have a right to your own happiness. While 60 percent of our happiness may be determined by our genes, the other 40 percent is up to us. Does saying no to that next big opportunity make you happy? Remember to make time for yourself. Sometimes, saying no is really saying yes to your future happiness.
Say ‘no’ with love
Sometimes, it can be hard to say ‘no,’ especially to someone we love most. Still, have you ever consider that saying no may be helping the person that you love learn a life lesson? You may hesitate to say no because you want to remain agreeable. However, there is no crime in agreeing to disagree or voicing your firm belief with a no of conviction. It is ok to say ‘no’ if you really do mean ‘no’; There is no shame is saying ‘no,’even if you want to avoid the appearance of being rude. Why is saying ‘no’ not being ‘rude’? Did you know in Asian cultures, it may be rude to say no to an elder? Instead, it is believed to be more important to save face.
Stop burning bridges
You can tactfully say ‘no’ without desecrating a friendship. Some people take a ‘no’ as a sign of rejection. However, you can turn a simple (but firm ‘no’) into a positive. Stop looking as if having to say ‘no’ is a reflection of your character. Sometimes, you simply need to say ‘no’ to save your own face and give yourself time for yourself.
Don’t fear the word ‘no’
You shouldn’t have to feel you lost out on any opportunity simply because you said ‘no’. Don’t worry if you have to turn down an opportunity because you feel too stretched by other responsibilities. You need time to recharge your batteries or else you will run out of creative juice.
Say ‘no’ without apology
Never apologize for saying no. Remember, you have a right to be happy even if this meant saying no to tasks other people expect you to do. You know yourself and what you can handle successfully. Remember, if you take on too much, you may be the maker of too many tasks and the master of none.