Secretaries around the globe are praised and revered for their high skills and talents. To begin with, most in the profession are known for their eye for detail, great organizational skills and helping the company or their boss put their ‘best moves on the table’. Here are a few tips on becoming the most wanted secretary around.
Knowing when to say what
Secretaries would be managing a whole lot of work on behalf of the company or the boss. In such cases, a lot of private and confidential business information would pass through their table, and as a professional, one has to be moralistic about the critical information and its safety too. Confidentiality is a virtue which every secretary needs to imbibe and portray at the work place.
Professionalism at its best
A secretary somewhat plays the role of a face to the company. In that regard, as a secretary one is expected to;
- Have the best mannerisms and etiquettes at the work place and business meetings,
- Imbibe trust so that the boss and the company can lay confidence in you,
- Apt body language at all times,
- Perfect professional dressing sense,
- Managing one’s own personal image around,
- Highest grooming standards,
- Highest commitment levels for the boss and the company,
- Willingness to walk the extra-mile for employees at work,
- High display of integrity and honesty, and
- Knowing how to be an advisor when there is a need to do so.
Update your skills
There are many colleges that would train individuals on becoming ‘Company Secretaries’. Such courses help an individual stay abreast with the evolution of the occupation. Gain new skills and be up-to-date with the new courses in technology pertaining to the profile and nature of the job. This will help you gain an edge over the rest; promotions thus would be seamless when time comes.
Gift of the gab
- The job of a secretary is to communicate efficiently, which means possessing a sharp and witty tongue when needed. At times, the boss may invite you over to attend a client meet or a business lunch. This is your moment when you should dress for the occasion, and let the witty side come out. However, know when to draw the lines, and do not get too personal with anyone or with comments being thrown around.
- Keep your cool whenever the deal is on verge of closure and contribute your words, if you feel would be beneficial for company’s interest. A secretary is not meant to be a puppet for the boss.
Your boss looks at you as his/her best friend around and hence would be snappy when things aren’t going their way. In such cases, it would be best not to panic or snap back, take a deep breath and think over the situation. Stop, think and respond – this would be the best mechanism to follow. Things are bound to get stressful, but make sure you don’t get carried away.
Work with rest of the employees as a team member; it gets to be a lot of fun at the end of the day. While theob can bring in the moolah, you get to climb the ladder of success by learning a lot as well.