A makeup artist is one who works on a person to present his or her looks in the best possible manner. This involves a lot of creativity and application of makeup techniques which comes from a lot of experience and knowledge of the craft. If you aspire to become a makeup artist, we give you five tips on how you can become a successful one. Read on.
1. Rustle up your basic kit
Firstly you will have to assemble your basic kit. For starters you could have a foundation, brushes, eyeliners and a number of lipsticks in various colors and shades. You need not go in for any fancy or expensive stuff right away – this will come much later. You could buy a readymade make up kit from your local stores.
2. Practice away
Practice makes perfect. The only way you can het hand-on experience is by practicing the art of make up whenever you get the chance. Try out your skills on your significant other, your relatives, your friends and neighbors. Volunteer to do make up for community functions, the school play, or any other event. Weddings and parties give you good opportunities to practice. You can either do it on your own or assist the makeup artist who is on the job.
3. Learn the craft
No formal education is required to become a makeup artist. However, you can enroll for a makeup course if available locally. Some institutes dealing with the entertainment industry also offer courses in makeup. Online resources are also available. Scour the internet and learn about your craft. Joining up for a beautician or cosmetologist course will give you great insights into the beauty business.
You can learn a lot by getting a job at a cosmetics counter at retail outlets.
You can also do an internship or apprenticeship with an established makeup artist.
4. Build your portfolio
Your portfolio is like a visual resume. It showcases your talent to prospective clients and employers. You should put photographs of your best work to highlight your skill, talents and uniqueness. Put “before and after” photographs in your portfolio.
- Take photos of your friends and other people whom you have worked on
- You may also hire professional models and photographer for your portfolio
- Make an on-line portfolio
- Your portfolio should showcase the brand you are building.
5. Market yourself
Once you have made up your portfolio and your resume, it is time to market yourself.
- Make your own website using sites like Wix.com and carbonmade.com.
- Join up on sites like Modelmayhem.com and ThePowderGroup.com to put up your portfolio and connect with like-minded people. These are great resources to look for jobs also.
- Post on craigslist.com and other such sites.
- Use social media to promote yourself. Facebook provides powerful advertisement tools to build your target audience.
- Network, call up your contacts. If you know someone in the industry get in touch, you may get that great break.
- Take out flyers and advertise locally.
Have confidence, hone your craft, be persistent and persevere – and success is yours. Good luck!